Monday, April 20, 2009

Blood Orange

Dear Blood Orange,

(Le Sigh).

I really wanted to like you. I was so excited when I saw you at Whole Foods! "I'm not supposed to be able to find you here in the Midwest!" I said to myself. Or, at least, that's what Padma said when she was on The View a few months ago critiquing Stephen the Sommelier from Season One's salad featuring you as its star.

But today I finally cut you open and I saw this:



Holy goats, Blood Orange! I'm sorry, but I just never expected to find your coloring occurring anywhere in nature. It's a bit disconcerting to me, to be quite honest. I'm not sure what to make of it.

But I persevered and tried a few slices. Now, Blood Orange, you look cool--although blood is not necessarily appetizing--but the least you could do is be delicious. Alas, you taste like a bland grapefruit. (Now, someone with the experience of eating a few blood oranges needs to tell me if this is normal, or if it's just a side effect of sitting in Drew's fridge for about a month. Before you judge me for eating an old orange though, you need to see this fridge for yourself. I swear, it has magical abilities when it comes to retaining fruit ripeness).

However, I can't bypass your merits:



You peel with the grace of a clementine.

Good show.

Sincerely,

Katrina

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, hey KP!
    I asked Mr. Wikipedia about blood oranges, and they apparently are supposed to taste like a cross between a tangerine and a pomelo. . .I think pomelos are pretty tasteless, but I'm sure others would disagree. Also, I think that blood oranges are generally used as a complement in meat and salad (?) instead of eaten alone. Um, that's it. Yay!
    ps. i def edited this because of a grammatical error. . .lame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm. Well that actually explains a lot. thanks, LP.

    (real time update:) I was just playing with my hair, thinking about what to write next, when I stopped, turned my head to the side, and pondered for a good few seconds how great of an idea incorporating blood oranges with a pork dish sounds.

    hmmm. HMMMMMMM.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blood oranges actually rule. Hard. Don't dismiss them; Whole Foods typically has miserable produce.

    ReplyDelete