Sunday, May 31, 2009

Yellow Cake with Sour Cream Frosting



My dear friend Leslie's birthday is tomorrow, June 1 (Hooray!), but her birthday party was last night, and I thought I would bake her a cake. At first I was frustrated because all I wanted was a recipe for normal yellow cake, and apparently, on the interwebs, this does not exist. Even the simple recipes seemed a lot more difficult than I was expecting. So last weekend when I was at my parents' I looked in the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook my mother's had for about four decades.

Ah-HA! The very first recipe was for yellow cake and just made sense. Unfortunately, I got batter all over my copy, but I'll try to get it again and post it sometime.



Even though the cake was great, I was a little disappointed with the frosting. First of all, I take issue with the fact that that is called a "frosting" in the first place. It seems more like an icing or a glaze to me. Other than that, the taste was good. I like the idea of a sour cream frosting, so I might try to play around with it a little. I should also point out that the runniness might be my own fault since I melted the butter in the microwave, and that consequently melted everything else, but whatever. I also omitted a bag of chocolate chips that was supposed to be double boiled with the butter, so that probably had something to do with the consistency also, now that I think about it. Oh well. It was delicious none-the-less!

Happy Birthday Leslie!!!!




Sour Cream Frosting
(This is enough for 2 9'' cakes)
1/4 c. butter
1/2 c. sour cream
1 t. vanilla
1/4 t. salt
2(1/2)-2(3/4) c. sifted confectioner's sugar

Melt the butter, and blend in sour cream, vanilla, and salt.
Gradually add sugar for spreading consistency, and beat well.

1 comment: