Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Tomato and Spinach Sandwich

Now, I'm not going to go and say that what I've just made here is up to the caliber of anything Drew has made, or ever will make, for that matter. However, I will say that I have discovered what could be a pleasant little summer lunch in the middle of January.

I used stuff I had lying around the kitchen. I always hate when people post recipes that they claim can be made with ingredients every household already should have, and then they pull out things like fresh dill and arborio rice. I wouldn't necessarily have these things on a normal basis, but since I did and I'm using them for a purpose I didn't originally intend, let's just go ahead and say you (yes, you!) really CAN just throw this together. (I'm probably setting myself up way too much. Sorry).

Anyway, I had a hothouse tomato, some spinach, and a whole wheat english muffin.



After I toasted the muffin and sliced the tomato, I spread some chipotle hummus on the muffin (I recommend this brand I just got at Whole Foods--Earl's. It's delicious). On the tomato I also drizzled some olive oil and seasoned with a little salt a pepper.



I won't call this delicious--it wasn't. But it was really good, and it definitely hit the spot. The chipotle hummus definitely was the magic sauce that sealed the deal: this sammy would just be bland and plain without it, but with it, it was spicy and gave the cool tomato a good kick in the pants.

And now you too can stack tomato and spinach on bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment